Sunday, June 30, 2024

Kit Airplane: Rudder

As mentioned in the prior kit airplane post, I wanted to rebuild the rudder to re-familiarize myself with the process and correct mistakes I had made.

The parts out ready to begin...


And so it begins again...


The spar with ribs...


Wrapping the skins on the ribs...


Got my helper...


Taping up the lead edge skin...


Fully clecoed (clecos are the temporary plugs that hold it together until we rivet)...


Completely dismantled to de-burr and prime...


Installing the upper bearing (which was quadruple checked for alignment and position - the drill bit acts as a nice way to ensure they're aligned)...


Riveting in progress...


New rudder (that will be a part of the aircraft) is complete! I'm much happier with this one and am proud with how it came out.

The upper bearing and lower horn are also attached. I'm holding off on the fairing until it's time to mount to the fuselage per the advice from Zenith.

The horizontal stabilizer construction has already begun...

No comments:

Post a Comment