Monday, August 10, 2026

Kit Airplane: Wing Part 7 (Fuel Tanks)

Next on the wing to-do are the fuel tanks!

This is roughly how the tank will be placed within the wing's leading edge.


Rather than direct metal to metal contact, the tanks are fitted in place with strips of cork. I added enough cork to the top, bottom, back, and sides so it's a snug fit.


The fuel sender (measures quantity in the tank) is actually from a VW car. Its arm has to be bent at specific angles for it to properly fit and pivot within the tank.


The sensor is mounted on the inboard side of the tank, through the adjacent rib lightening hole. 


Holes drilled...


Also drilled holes for the fuel outlet, fuel return (for fuel injected engine), ground wire connection, vent hole, and the tank sump in the ribs and leading edge skin.


For the fuel cap, I drilled holes to attach a sheet of plexiglass to the wing skin and ribs. With the plexiglass in position, I could mark the exact locations of the fuel cap hole and drill it to size.


I then pulled the leading edge skin back onto the wing with the plexiglass on top and clecoed them into place. Now I have a perfect position of where to cut the leading edge skin for the cap.


And the cap in place; looks great!









No comments:

Post a Comment